In 1999, Coliban Water engaged Veolia to undertake the AQUA 2000 Project, which was a 25-year contract to build, own, operate and transfer water treatment plants and supporting infrastructure for Bendigo, Castlemaine and Kyneton. In 2010, Coliban Water and Central Highlands Water again contracted Veolia to operate and maintain the entire Goldfields Superpipe 160km pipeline.
Coliban Water is one of the larger Victorian Regional urban water corporations responsible for 35 reservoirs and water storage basins across North-Central Victoria.
In the late 1990s, Australia began experiencing severe drought conditions that stretched on for well over a decade. During this period, Coliban Water required a partner who could deliver advanced water treatment infrastructure to guarantee water supplies to the towns of Bendigo, Castlemaine and Kyneton.
Since completing the construction, Veolia has continued to surpass expectations as the primary operations and maintenance contractor for the plants and supporting infrastructure. The main plant in Bendigo has a capacity of 126 megalitres per day and features submerged microfiltration technology while the Kyneton plant (eight megalitres per day) and Castlemaine plant (18 megalitres per day) use conventional microfiltration.
Veolia has introduced upgrades & initiatives including
- Technology upgrades for filter turbidity monitoring
- Investigation, research and solutions to nitrification and activated carbon filter performance
- Representation of project at water industry conferences
- Complete process upgrade project
- Sludge handling upgrade project
- Replacement of Bendigo clear water storage liner
The superpipe includes six pumping stations, a mini hydroelectricity turbine and three reservoirs and has the capacity to deliver up to 20 billion litres of drinking water per year. Veolia is responsible for all pipeline operations and maintenance activities. These include pipeline easement maintenance, liaising with landowners, contractor management, high voltage switching operations and water quality monitoring.
- Risk & incident management
- Maintenace program implementation & management
- Water quality & systems management
- Environmental sustainability & education initiatives implementation
- Facilities management