Veolia Chairman and CEO Antoine Frérot says, "This prevention policy and the use of the required equipment to ensure our employees' physical and mental safety contribute to Veolia’s overall performance. It must be implemented without exception: Veolia's ethics and its corporate and managerial responsibility are at stake."
To improve its prevention culture and performance and achieve an objective of excellence, Veolia has implemented the Always Safe program, which enables managers and employees to analyze practical situations and share best practices. As a reminder of the program’s principles and in order to communicate them, a Global Health and Safety Week is organized at the Group level. In 2015, the event took place from 21 to 25 September.
6 examples of health and safety best practices
To mark Veolia’s Global Health and Safety Week, which took place from 21 to 25 September 2015, the Group identified 100 best practices worldwide. Here is a selection:
- China: Self-evaluation and risk identification, working at height simulations and training for working in confined spaces.
- Singapore: First aid training, practical safety exercises for working at height and use of personal protective equipment.
- Australia: Mobilization on cleaning up asbestos and personal protective equipment training, exchange of best practices.
- Morocco: Mobilization of all the business lines (safety regulations, personal protective equipment, etc.), occupational medicine (objectives and tools, etc.) and safety on construction sites.
- Russia: Mobilization of employees on working conditions (showers, toilets, heating equipment), training in electrical safety testing and firefighting.
- United Kingdom: implementation of a new method “Think Safe, Work Safe, Home Safe”.
Health and safety performances in 2015
The frequency rate (number of accidents per million hours worked) was 11 in 2015 (down 6% compared to 2014).
In 2015, almost 56% of employees received safety training and 36% of all training hours were devoted to the topic.
Objective for 2020
Achieve a workplace accident frequency rate below or equal to 6.5.