Watercare Services is New Zealand’s largest company in the water and wastewater industry, supplying around 1.3 million customers across Auckland. It needed a partner to operate and maintain its water distribution network of hundreds of kilometres of water and wastewater mains to the highest standard.
Watercare Services awarded Veolia a contract to undertake the maintenance of water and drainage pipes in Papakura – one of Auckland’s southern districts – as well as setting tariffs and customer billing.
Papakura is a southern district of Auckland on New Zealand’s North Island. This was Veolia Water’s first New Zealand contract and when service commenced in 1997, it was the only private sector water concession contract in the country. With a focus on the sustainable supply of high quality water at affordable rates to end users, Watercare Services required a partner to operate and maintain its water distribution network of hundreds of kilometres of water and wastewater mains to the highest standard.
Highest quality customer delivery
Veolia’s unique asset management approach has seen us achieve optimal performance outcomes. We collect detailed asset data, and complete assessment of all assets every five years. This gives us a complete understanding of asset performance and enables improvements to budgeting, transparency and operational efficiency for all Watercare Services’ water assets.
Under the initial 30-year contract awarded in 1997, our scope includes periodic, routine and emergency maintenance, with the option to extend the contract for a further 20 years.
Benefits to our client
- Maintaining water and wastewater tariffs at the Auckland average, minimising costs and maximising value for Papakura residents
- Integrated work management system to ensure satisfied stakeholders
- Qualified personnel have safeguarded public health and ensured compliance with all standards
- ISO 9001 quality assurance and ISO 14001 environmental management third-party certifications
- AS/NZS 4801 and ISO 18001 health and safety third-party certifications
- AS/NZS 4360 based risk management systems implemented
- Installation and implementation of asset management tools to create a full record of inspections and failures.
Improving value through asset management
Providing drinking water for 48,000 people
97 percent customer satisfaction