Veolia Australia and New Zealand is comprised of Veolia Environmental Services (Australia) Pty Ltd, Veolia Water Australia Pty Ltd, Veolia Energy Services Australia Pty Ltd and their subsidiaries. In this policy, these entities will be collectively referred to as “Veolia”. At Veolia we are committed to protecting and maintaining the privacy, accuracy and security of the personal information of all our business associates and our employees.
What personal information do we collect and hold?
We will only collect information relevant to our business or employment relationship with you including the following types of personal information:
- Mailing or street address;
- Email address;
- Telephone number
- Profession, occupation or job title;
- you provide to us directly through our websites or social media;
- you provide to us through our customer service centre;
How we collect your information
- We collect your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so.
- We will collect information directly from you by phone, face to face, by email or on social media.
- We may also collect information from third parties including credit reporting agencies, and law enforcement agencies.
- We do not generally collect any sensitive information.
How we use your information
We will limit the use and disclosure of your personal information to:
- Carrying out our business, this includes:
- providing products and services to you and to send communications requested by you;
- answering enquiries and providing information or advice about existing and new services;
- the administrative, marketing, planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes of Veolia, its related bodies corporate, and service providers; and
- keeping your records and contact details up to date.
- Fulfilling any legal requirements ‑ such as reporting requirements to external agencies or to law enforcement agencies.
- If you are one of our customers, we may use your information to offer you products and services that we believe meet your needs. However, you can notify us at any time if you do not wish to receive these offers.
- We will not share, sell or trade your information to any non-related companies outside of the Veolia Environnement group.
Use of Employee Information Exceptions
Some exceptions to our use of employee information may apply in such cases as where we enter into negotiations for the sale of sections of the business or transfers of contracts. In the event of this occurring, your identity will remain anonymous for as long as possible.
We may also exercise our right to monitor the use of email and the Internet in accordance with our Information Technology and Social Media Policy.
Who will use your information?
In common with many organisations, we contract services from external parties, such as sub-contractors or other select organisations who perform certain functions or operations for us including web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, debt collections and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants. Your information may be provided to them on a confidential basis for the sole purpose of performing the contracted services on our behalf.
We instruct these companies to exercise the same standard of care as we do ourselves, so that they cannot provide this information to anyone else.
Direct Marketing Materials
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so. In addition, at any time you may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt-out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
We may also share your personal information with related companies in the Veolia Environnement group, who will exercise similar standards of care in relation to your information.
Your use of our websites
Your commitment to the privacy of your colleagues and our customers
Veolia has an expectation of all employees and sub-contractors that they will preserve the privacy of information relating to their work colleagues and to our customers. Personal information learned about another individual during the course of work, must not be used or disclosed except as necessary to fulfil the legitimate requirements of the job.
Your information may be disclosed to entities outside Australia
We may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate and third party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to entities located outside of Australia, including the following:
- our related bodies corporate, located in France, United Kingdom, and other countries in which VE has operations; and
- our data hosting and other IT service providers, located in the United States, and the European Union.
Your information is secure
We store personal information in a combination of secure computer storage facilities and paper-based files and other records. In doing so, we have taken reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. As our website is linked to the internet, and the internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information which you transmit to us online is transmitted at your own risk.
We will, with your help, keep your personal information accurate, complete and up to date. Additionally, we take reasonable steps to securely destroy personal information when we no longer need it.
You have access to your information
Following a request, we will provide you with a copy of personal information we hold about you, in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act. Please note that there are some circumstances set out in the Privacy Act where we may refuse your request.
If you establish that the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up to date, we will correct our records as necessary.
We will promptly acknowledge and investigate any complaints about the way we manage personal information.
If you have any questions about this policy, if you wish to update or access the information we hold about you, or if you wish to make a related complaint, please contact the Veolia National Privacy Officer via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: 02 8571 0000. Our representative will contact you within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint to discuss your concerns and outline options regarding how they may be resolved.