Adelaide Veolia - ResourceCo Recovery Facility
Commissioned in November 2006, the Veolia - ResourceCo ARRT Facility in Wingfield, South Australia, is the only one of its kind in Australia.
*This site is not open to the public.
Monday: 5:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday: 5:00am - 5:00pm
Wednesday: 5:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday: 5:00am - 5:00pm
Friday: 5:00am - 5:00pm
Saturday: 5:00am - 12:00pm
This is a service centre only, there is no access to the public.
Restricted hours may apply on some public holidays. For information regarding opening hours, fees, acceptance criteria or other site-specific information, please submit our online enquiry form or call Customer Service on 13 13 35.
What is on site at Adelaide
The Veolia - ResourceCo Alternative Fuels facility was created to take advantage of synergies between three companies:
- Veolia, which collects commercial & industrial (C&I); and construction & demolition (C&D); waste in the Adelaide region;
- ResourceCo, which recovers resources from C&I; C&D; and wastes;
- and Adelaide Brighton Cement, which was seeking more environmentally sustainable solutions for energy supply to its cement kilns.
The Veolia - ResourceCo partnership enabled the development of the alternative fuels facility which produces Process Engineered Fuel (PEF) as a replacement for fossil fuels to Adelaide Brighton Cement's specifications from C&D; C&I; and wastes. The fully automated Veolia - ResourceCo plant in South Australia sorts the entire raw material stream into its various components. The process separates all raw materials and over 90% of the material is recovered.
- Following initial shredding, small aggregates and sand are screened out for recycling into road base materials.
- Contaminants are removed by hand sorting (for steel, concrete, and masonry), belt magnets (residual tramp metal, and a water bath (for residual sand, grit, glass and metal). Where possible, these items are recycled.
- The remaining materials are processed further to create PEF, with the process being flexible enough to incorporate additional stages of screening and size reduction to alter the final density and composition of the PEF.
The PEF produced by Veolia-ResourceCo possesses significant calorific value and can be used as a fuel substitute for coal and gas in high combustion facilities.
Veolia-ResourceCo's Wingfield facility has the capability to manufacture up to 350,000 tonnes of raw material per annum into approximately 100,000 to 150,000 tonnes of PEF: the first and only one of its kind in Australia.