Veolia provides timely and efficient environmental solutions to the health and pharmaceutical industry, including water and wastewater treatment, facilities management of all energy systems, and effective waste and resource recovery services.
These holistic services help to ensure a comfortable indoor environment, further improving patient outcomes and overall staff satisfaction.
The healthcare system within Australia and New Zealand provides critical services to countless people each year. Hospitals, doctor’s surgeries, pathology centres and many other health facilities are faced with substantial challenges presented by an ageing population, a significant increase in demand for health services as well as a growth in many chronic illnesses (NSW State Health Pan 2023).
Veolia works with many of Australia and New Zealand’s largest healthcare and pharmaceutical facilities, including Healthscope, SA Health, as well as the Therapeutic Goods Administration, to help you maintain operational efficiency, ensure the utmost in occupational health and safety, as well as reducing your environmental footprint.
Healthcare & Pharmaceutical Sector Challenges
Operating within the current economic climate for the healthcare and pharmaceutical industry ensures that it is now more imperative than ever to address key challenges, to warrant the safe and efficient running of all operations including:
- Heightened customer expectations
- International trade and competition
- Lack of innovation
- OHS and environment certification and compliance
- Regulatory and legislative pressures locally
Veolia's healthcare and pharmaceutical solutions
By understanding your unique challenges and key performance indicators, our team of specialists will work with you to help maintain your profitability and operational capacity, with a particular focus on water, energy and waste management.
- Waste management and resource recovery, including handling of process waste for recovery, general waste and recyclables, hazardous liquid and sludge waste collection
- Site assessments, including NABERS Audit
- Greenfield design/ development of waste/recycling facilities
- Service re-engineering – collection systems, on-site processing
- Assistance in planning and approvals
- Product destruction
- Training and education
- Environmental and efficiency reporting
- Preventative and corrective energy asset maintenance contracts
- Installation, design, development and upgrading of energy systems and equipment, including heating, ventilation and air-conditioning
- Managing energy performance of facilities and equipment
- Reporting on clients energy usage and reductions
- Environmental Upgrade Agreements (EUA’s) - enabling building owners to upgrade facilities using attractive financing structures to provide a cash-flow positive project, enabling energy, water or waste efficiency upgrades
- Water filtration and purification
- Validated systems guarantee water purity for concentrate production
- Bespoke system designs
- Integrated heat cleaning cycles ensure maintenance of hygienic pathways
- Secure system design, along with skilled technical support
- Operations and maintenance of all on-site water management systems and plants
- Water and wastewater treatment plants to treat contaminated
- Water for environmental discharge or reuse
- Potable water systems
- Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD)
- Refurbishments, upgrades and modifications of existing water treatment plants for manufacturing plants and facilities
- Containerised mobile units
- Guaranteed operations and maintenance of water assets
- Increase productivity despite tight space and capital constraints
- Increase plant reliability through customised maintenance and repair contracts
- Exceed regulatory requirements with consistently high water quality
- Minimise your environmental footprint
At Veolia we offer high value-added services to hospitals, clinics, retirement homes and other public and private healthcare establishments to free them from a host of non-medical tasks, ranging from temperature control to ensure patient and staff comfort to building maintenance. In particular, we offer energy management, health-risk management and comprehensive building management services.
We draw on our extensive energy management expertise and our broad array of technical services to create a comfortable environment for patients, visitors and staff; provide an uninterrupted power supply for technical installations; ensure that chilling, steam, medical vacuum and other utility systems meet quality and volume requirements for medical and logistic uses; and optimise energy consumption.
For healthcare establishments, safety is mission critical, day in, day out. Our first job is to mitigate health risks such as hospital-acquired infections, and to raise awareness of safety issues by informing and training teams. Safety is also at the core of our commitment to continuous improvement, from regulatory and environmental audits to the ongoing operational management of technical risks.
Comprehensive building management
Technology never stands still and we are understand there are constant changes in a healthcare facility’s infrastructure, needs and environment and for us it is crucial we offer flexible services based on an in-depth understanding of your organisation. These include optimising building operating costs to meet your budget requirements and ensuring that facilities are consistently upgraded and comply with standards.
Once we identify your individual requirements, our unique methodology ensures we can deliver high quality tailored utility and energy services, in line with best practices, to:
- Process Heat: we specialise in the supply of heat in various forms (pure steam, process steam, hot water) required for reactors, digesters, sterilizers and other applications.
- Process Refrigeration: we can manage your production and distribution facilities, delivering positive, negative and ultra-negative refrigeration as required for cooling and preserving products, and for cooling production vessels or cleaning stations.
- Compressed Air: We can deliver pure or process compressed air for your production requirements, such as pressurisation of process vessels and automation.
- Vacuum: We can also meets your vacuum requirements, in particular for packaging lines (e.g., for filling bags with powder or blister packaging).